Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Word of the Day: Discipline

Bonjour,

It's like everywhere I turn today I keep running into the word or idea of "discipline". Reading a book for the next year called "One Year to An Organized Life" yup you heard it 1 Year lol. For Week 2 it asks you to write a schedule, create a routine- so I did it and I must say it was pretty cool: wake up early work-out, eat breakfast, get dress, work work work work, come home, cook dinner, eat, read, and prepare for the next day---Yup I said it prepare for the next day, outfit and all; I must say it was an awesome schedule. The problem was not my ability to make the schedule the problem is my execution of the schedule lol which made me realize the lack of discipline I have and it's across the board including the excel spreadsheet that stalks me each pay period (my budget, #deepsigh). So my question is how is it I can be disciplined enough to work my tail off at work to get things done for other people but lack it for my self, and honestly my financial future? Which brings me to my next occurrence with discipline-------

 I read an article in Wash Biz Journal that says: saving $100 per month at 25 you can accumulate $351,00 by the time you're 65. It went on to say to be able to do this you have to have ????? you guessed it DISCIPLINE- "Discipline means you are capable of making the sacrifice" " you must be committed to making small incremental behavioral changes". So does the lack of discipline mean I'm not committed? Because each time I decide I'm going to do this I feel committed but obviously I'm not so is it laziness? lack of motivation?

It just seems crazy that I can't get on the ball - soooo I am putting myself to the challenge, research shows that to make something a habit you must do it for 21 days or more, so today I pledge that for the next 21days I will submit , yes I said submit to the idea of abiding by my schedule.

Make a schedule and try it! Trust me it's easier than it sounds - let me know how it works out!!

Ciao!
Follow @QuarterLifeChic